Media Blog Forum: Week 1 Questions

Media and Society: Week One Blog

Topic One: About Me

My name is Grace Phillips. I am going to be starting my sophomore year at LBCC. I play volleyball here! I am planning to go into pediatric nursing or into the public health field. I love serving others and just got back from the Tenderloin where I served the homeless for a week! This past week was extremely eye opening for me as I did not realize the extent of homeless in the small blocked in area known as the Tenderloin. I would love to learn about how the media decides what to show and how they present it. Media has been becoming more and more prevalent in todays society so I'm pretty excited about this class in general. As I said I play on the volleyball team at LBCC and I love it. I will be going onto my 9th year go playing volleyball and each year I play I fall more in love with this sport. College volleyball is super intense but it also keeps me motivated in school and just in general to succeed! I am excited for this class and learning more about the media and how it affects society.

Topic Two: The Information You Consume 

My three main sources of information are Twitter, the News app on my phone, and other people. I use twitter mainly, mostly because it is very convenient and I can follow local news accounts as well as LBCCs account and larger news accounts. The news app is where I go to get real articles that go beyond just a short snippet of information. I mostly read Huffington post and the New York times. These are fairly reliable, but can really be biased at times so I find it important to flood myself with many different points of views when studying a topic. Twitter is probably my least reliable source of news and information, it can be highly skewed so I normally use it as a basis for what to learn more about! I also rely on people like my parents and older confidants to fill me in on the current world news. My boyfriends mother loves to stay up to date with around the world news so I get a lot of great information from her as well! Fake news is probably close to one of the most detrimental things that has happened. It truly skews people, especially when they are not educated on how to find reliable and correct sources of information. This is one of the biggest issues. The media recycles and relabels pictures and quotes in times where they are not relevant and they have the ability to create a "bad guy" from old and not relating quotes. I make sure to gain knowledge from multiple parts of the media and I am never afraid to ask questions. Being curious and unafraid to ask questions is really a great way to gain correct knowledge. Also if you look for multiple articles all from different points of view, and always using reliable sources of news and articles. When passing information on, I try to create an unbiased synopsis of the issue so I can share with others and allow them to create their own opinions and do their own research if they are truly interested in the topic. I also normally do not feel comfortable enough to share information and inform others. I try not to pass along information unless I am sure it is correct and useful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Six Blog Post

Week Nine Blog Forum

Week Five Media Blog