Media Blog Forum: Week Two Questions

Topic One: Social Media

I have been a social media user (facebook, instagram, twitter, and reddit) since 2012. I have continuously updated my following and changed it based on my own maturity and interests. One of my favorite accounts to follow is Nike and Nike Women. I love these two accounts specifically because of their focus on sports and some of my own role models. I also really love their ads and just how motivating some of their posts are. On twitter, I follow Fox 12 Oregon; I enjoy this account because I can follow current events in my state (as well as school closures or traffic events) but it really keeps me informed and just overall knowledgeable about they events within Oregon. My next favorite account would probably be Sarah Silverman, not only is she a great and hilarious actor, she stays on top of political events very well. Even if I don't agree with her stance (and she is very opinionated) I use her as a platform on things to be educated about. I also recently started following an account on instagram called Live Salted. It is a great platform for bible studies and just resources for Christian women to meet and share with other Christian women. I really like that social media can supply an array of things for each personalized individual. I don't really ever share things or retweet them, but on my account the last thing I shared was a great video of my cousin who is suffering from epilepsy. He was interviewed with his family on "The View" a TV show hosted by Whoopi Goldberg, it was a very touching story and I felt it should be shared and maybe it would be inspiring to someone else or just touch their heart. This stood out to me on not only a personal area but just in an emotional and touching area, it was inspiring to see how hard he is fighting. I'll link the video at the end of this post because I think every one should see it! 
I do think that social media has enhanced our ability to participate in things we believe in, we can connect with others that have similar beliefs and interests. We can purchase items made by small and local business owners, and we can support others through their struggles. I believe if used correctly, social media platforms can create a sense of community between people millions of miles apart, I believe it can be used to uplift and inspire others to do the best they can do, and I believe it can be used to create a movement so strong it could really make a difference in the world. But sadly, we don't seem to use it in the right way. With all the positive of social media, I think it has caused people to be less understanding and more polar to others. With an increase in access to people with the same beliefs as yourself, there has been a decrease in tolerance and acceptance. I say this focusing mostly on the political side of things, but it can be true within sports or even businesses. Now, I do think that social media has created a platform that encourages people to take action and make movements. I also have seen (on facebook) an option to register to vote and that is awesome. Overall, I believe that social media is one of the strongest things every built. It has almost unlimited resources, and the potential to change the world. But used incorrectly, it could be extremely detrimental to society. 

Topic Two: The Internet 

Turkle's talk was very interesting. I think that social media gives us a chance to connect to those far from us, but it also takes away from the available conversation right in front of us! My dad would always say "I'm right here! Why are you texting me?" it was funny but in my family, attention and really being involved was important to show respect and interest in others! My boyfriend and I have chose to make meal times a phone and device free zone. Growing up, my family never allowed televisions in our rooms, and kept computer time to a short period daily. We were an outside and game family. We found it important to listen and have real, undistracted conversations. I ensure I am listening by keeping eye contact and sometimes repeating what someone has said to me to make sure I have truly understood them. I currently have a single game on my phone and that is because I was recently on a plane. It was a fun snake game, I don't even know the name. I don't play videos games every, but some friends of mine really like fortnite. I find video games boring and difficult. I would prefer being outside and active. I probably spend 8 hours a week on social media. I sell Rodan and Fields (a skin care company) and its completely online and done through social media so I spend a good amount of that time working on that! I mostly choose to spend time with friends and family, and I have a part time construction job this summer so sometimes I don't look at my phone for a solid 5 hours per day. I really just prefer conversation and active play instead of static play.  I do appreciate a good wind down time of using my phone and catching up on current events!!
HERE IS THE VIDEO! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Six Blog Post

Week Nine Blog Forum

Week Five Media Blog